1975 Ted Brewer Cape North 43 ‘Bewildered‘ is a centre cockpit cutter rig sloop, built by Cape Yachts of Hong Kong, an adaptation of noted American naval architect Ted Brewer’s successful Black Velvet design.
Ted Brewer Cape North 43 ‘Bewildered Features:
She has a 3/4 keel with the ‘Brewer Bite’ cutout, one of Brewer’s signature design features. It was a clever way of adding some of the windward sailing advantages of a fin keelboat to a cruising boat’s full keel. At the same time, the “Brewer Bite” offers protection for the prop — an important feature for a cruising boat — just as you would see in a full keel design. With this design, Brewer created a very comfortable and dry sailing hull.
The yacht is of a scantling rarely found in popular production yachts today considered Mono Construction with a full glassed hull to deck joint.
Throughout the boat but particularly below decks, the craftsmanship is more indicative of a custom-built yacht and is very expensive to recreate today. The interior is finished in varnished teak and pastel colours that are expertly fitted. The full-headroom main cabin is spacious and well-appointed offering comfortable seating for six. The cabinets have teak framed with opening Teak panels and Seashores cut-outs. With windows, companionways and eleven(11) opening ports plus three(3) overhead hatches (Two(2) added by the current owner) the open cabin design allows ample light and ventilation throughout.
The yacht has been refitted over the current ownership which included sealing the interior hull structure with epoxy, an external osmosis protection system. Interior changes in the main salon, galley, passageway, and after-head compartment.
Aft of the main cabin is an efficient galley centered on a three-burner Force 10 stove. The galley is fully outfitted to accommodate everyday demands and almost any entertainment need. There is a 12v Frigo-boat top loading cold box.
- 2 single Vberths which convert to double, access to the chain locker, stowage outboard to port and starboard, stowage under berths, hanging locker aft to starboard
- Light and ventilation by large opening deck hatch.
- The doorway leads to a short passageway with Forward Head to port with a timber vanity with a round stainless-steel sink in Corian by Dupont or similar countertop with pressure hot and cold water, manual fresh water, storage outboard and under. Jabsco marine head unit discharged overboard.
- Light and ventilation are provided by opening portlight
- Hanging locker opposite
- Starboard- a straight settee with storage under the Storage outboard and Dickinson Newport diesel cabin heater.
- Port- L-shaped settee, storage and air-conditioning under, with fixed custom Teak Table with cupboards under plus custom-built storage outboard and behind the settee. Large custom mirror on the forward bulkhead
- Aft to port is the U-shaped galley with gimballed three(3) burner Force 10 cooker gas cooker outboard with grill and oven, large counter area forward with storage and drawers under, and custom-made cupboard and dish stowage above. Custom spice rack noted.
- Microwave and storage located outboard.
- Aft in the galley is a composite double sink with pressure hot and cold water plus manual fresh and seawater supply set in the countertop of Corian by Dupont or similar. Stowage under. Outboard of the sink is a top-loading cold box.
- Opposite the galley aft to port is the navigation area with Magellan DX5000GPS, Standard VHF, Kenwood shortwave radio, and access from a chart table with seat.
- Stowage and chart stowage under. Stowage under the seat.
- Navigation books found forward of chart table and outboard.
- Outboard is found the electrical controls, distribution and breakers for 12V, 110V & 220V systems.
- Light and ventilation provided by five(5) opening portlights, opening deck hatch, two(2) fixed windows(new lenses 2017), two(2) deck vents and companionway.
The aft passageway leads to the aft cabin with counter outboard with water and diesel tanks under. Stowage above and outboard. Inboard is found the main access to the engine room.
The aft cabin is fitted with a double berth aft to Port with storage and steering locker under. To starboard is a countertop area with storage under and access to steering components and an auto-pilot computer. Forward to starboard are drawers and a large hanging locker. The companionway stairs have been removed to allow more comfortable use of the floor(cabin sole area) and the bulkhead under the companionway is utilized to store the Teak swim ladder which allows the companionway to be used as an emergency exit.
Light and ventilation are provided by a companionway, an opening deck hatch, and three(3) opening portlights.
Locate forward to port in the aft cabin. During the refit, the aft head was re-designed to a degree with new countertops, a sink utilizing Corian by Dupont, or similar with hot and cold pressure water with shower facility and manual fresh water supply now located outboard and the marine head moved inboard aft. The Jabsco manual marine head is discharged overboard or to the holding tank.
Light and ventilation are provided by a single-opening portlight and deck vent.
The following sails on board:-
- Q Sails 120% Genoa – 1992, 6oz American Furling, good condition.
- A Lam Mainsail,8oz American triple stitched, triple reefs, 1994, excellent condition
- A Lam Yankee, 8oz American near new, triple stitched, furling, 1994- First use May 2017
- A Lam Staysail, 8oz American, near new, triple stitched, 1994. First use May 2017
- A Lam Storm Jib, 8oz American, new unused, 1994
- A Lam Cruising Shute, 1100 sq. ft., new unused, 1994. Used once.
The following Equipment aboard:-
- Avon Redcrest Dinghy – S/N AVB 13704M83H-A
Avon R280 Rover – S/N AVB 17036 F 191 – 1999
Suzuki 4HP outboard – S/N 0201 232 696 – 1999
Frigoboat 12V water-cooled refrigeration
Navitech – CDT-4600 – DVD/Radio Player
Force 10 3 burner gas cooker with grill and oven
Professional Mariner 50Amp Battery charger
Two(2) 125watt Turkish built Solar Panels
One(1) 50watt Solar Panels by AstroPower, USA
One(1) 80watt Solar Panels new 2018
Schatz 6 inch clock and barometer.
Oil hanging lamp
Two(2) custom sun awnings to cover the complete yacht
One(1) Winter cockpit cover.
One(1) Spray Dodger with aft awning and side curtains(screens)
Dickinson Newport Diesel cabin heater
9000BTU marine air-conditioner
Teak swim/boarding ladder
Two(2) Hella Fans
Goldmaster vacuum, new 2017
SEG 22-inch LED TV, new 2016
HP Pavilion DV6 Navigation Computer
Epson L-130 inkjet colour printer
Kenwood TS-430S HF Transceiver
Icom AT-120 Antenna tuner
Electrical woodworking tools, skill saw, router etc,
Electrical maintenance and engineering tools, drills, socket sets, hand tools etc
Force 10 Gas Barbecue.
The following Navigation Equipment aboard:-
- Sestrel Major with copper body binnacle compass
Sestrel handbearing compass
Plastimo Iris 50 hand bearing compass
Cook Brass Sextant
Freiberger full mirror marine Sextant
Walker Mk III Trailing Log
Stowe Navigator Speed Log
Walker Electronic Wind Instruments
B & G Hecta 6 Depthsounder with remote meter
B & G Hecta 12, 200m digital depthsounder
Standard VHF with telephone handset
Paper charts from Turkey to San Francisco
World electronic/digital charts
Navigation books, tables and guides including Pub. 229
Nautical Almanac to 2050
Ted Brewer Cape North 43 Additional Information
- Fully near New Condition Sails
- Engine rebuilt, new stern gland system.
- All Plumbing updated new hot water tank galley sink aft head sink and more.
- Electronic Navigation, Computer, Extensive paper charts, 2 sextants, 2 GPS systems
- Interior Customised with new table, cupboards etc.
- Interior finished with solid TEAK, Teak Veneers and light paint systems
- New Deck hatches fitted during rebuild including two(2) additional deck hatches.
- All receipts and info are on board.
- Survey available with full details
- Original Build Contract and details on board
- Electronic Auto-Pilot and Aries Windvabe steering plus sparesEquipped Yacht for Liveaboard and cruising – Re-built and Custom
- Hull and Deck are Mono Construction (Fully Glassed)
- Three(3) electrical systems – 12V 110V & 240V All new electrical panels, Tinned wiring,
If you would like to enquire into this excellent example of a Ted Brewer Cape North 43, then please contact the Horizon Yacht Sales broker team today.
- Hull type
- Max people
- Length (LOA)
- 4 m / 13 ft 1 in
- Beam (width)
- 3.9 m / 12 ft 10 in
- 11,300 kg / 24,912 lbs
- Headroom in saloon
- 2 m / 6 ft 7 in
- Draft (depth)
- full, 1.9 m / 6 ft 3 in
- Primary fuel tank capacity
- 450 L / 119 gallons
- Water capacity
2 x 340 L / 2 x 90 gallons
- Engine Make
- Horse power
- 50 hp / 37 kW
- No. of engines
- Cruising speed
- 6 knots
Electronics and Navigation
- B&G X 2
- Wind Speed and Direction
- Chart Plotter at Navigation desk
- Dedicated Computer
- Autohelm 6000
- VHF at Navigation desk
Sails, Canvas and Cushions
- Fully Battened Mainsail
- A. Lam
- Furling Genoa
- North Sails
- Lazy bag/ stackpack
- Cockpit Cushions
- Type of Rig
- Bow Sprit/ Spinnaker Pole
- Spinnaker Pole
- Hot Water
- Refrigerator 1
- Shore Power
- x 3
- Battery Charger
- Electrical Bilge Pump
- Anchor Windlass
- Manual Bilge Pump
- Cockpit Table
- Swimming Ladder
- Cockpit Shower
- Avon 4 man
- Radar Reflector
- Avon x 2
Your information has been successfully sent to Horizon Yacht Sales.
Our yacht sales team will review your request and get back to you shortly.