Horizon Yacht Sales is proud to present Custom commercial 40 ‘J. Michael’ by Wray Brown.
This 1985 custom trawler is one of a kind as it was completely rebuilt in 2006 for commercial use as a charter/dive/salvage boat, but also offers comfortable living as well. Whether you are looking for a business opportunity or a very functional liveaboard (or both!) this may be the ultimate answer.
J. Michael was originally built and used in Ontario, Canada on Lake Ontario up to 2005. Since the rebuild in 2006 to the present, J. Michael has not been used commercially, but the current owners have kept up the yellow flag commercial-ready status.
The Custom commercial 40 ‘J. Michael’ is of all-welded steel construction about the keel, frames, and longitudinal stringers, there are no subdivisions. Decks are chequered plates with anti-skid laid over conventional steel welded deck beams. Bulwarks are solid steel plates welded with scuppers and clearing ports. The wheelhouse and aft trunk cabins are welded steel plates over conventional framing. The engine seating, stern tube, rudder trunk, and other components parts, again, are all-steel welded.
Underwater, there is a full keel with skeg and a supported rudder for added stability in heavy seas. The Custom commercial 40 ‘J. Michael’ is powered by a Caterpillar 3208 V8 with a 2.57:1 Borg-Warner Reduction gear transmission, 2 1/2″ S.Steel prop shaft, and 4 blade prop. The exterior hull is raked to the bow with a moderate overhang, light to moderate chinned bilges, with a slightly curved square transom.
The wheelhouse with a short trunk cabin that extends forward into the bow. The coachroof canopy with sliding doors on each side of the wheelhouse. Three windows on the sides, two windows aft side, and a hatch on top offer plenty of natural light and thorough ventilation. The windows and hatches are reinforced with metal frames. An extended cabin aft, which is attached to the wheelhouse ending at cockpit deck has three windows per side, one window on the aft wall, and two windows on a hinged door. Fore and aft decks have corridors arranged from the fore and to the aft of the cockpit.
Heading aft, the cockpit has a center gate of steel and composite construction. There are two small dinghy davits. A storage box with a cover on each side of aft hinged door for propane apparatus ( port) with rubber control line and emergency fuel shutoff in the Custom commercial 40 ‘J. Michael’. The starboard locker is where you will find the ventilator to the bilge, freshwater hose, and the shore power receptacle. There is a hatch leading into the cockpit and twin 3” Samson posts located on both corners of the transom.
All hatches are of the weathertight type. In the Custom commercial 40 ‘J. Michael’ cockpit, there is an extended bimini frame with a fabric top which offers plenty of shade. On the foredeck, there are two 5” Samson posts plus a twin horizontal head Lofrans windlass 1200 watt 12 volts with controls. Steps to each wheelhouse side door, and a gate each at midships. There are handrails on aft trunk sides and top. The 24” bulwarks above deck extending to and bending around the bow with cut out for anchor and 12” rail above bulwark, there are Hawse holes and drains.
- Caterpillar 3208 V8 (210HP/10.4L / 636 cubic inch)
- Twin Disc – MG 506 with 2.57:1 ratio 2.57:1
- The prop shaft is 2.5″ S.Steel
- The prop is 28″ 4 blade
- The 2 x solar panels = 160 Watts
- Last out of water service (2020)
- All 13 new hull anodes/zincs and new shaft anode (2020)
- stuffing box/packing gland was repacked (2020)
- completely repainted from the top down including the anti-fouling bottom paint. Hatteras White hull / white decks and superstructure. (2020)
- 2 additional “Rule 3500” bilge pumps were added. Total of 3 now – one in each individual compartment complete with auto float switches and bilge alarms ( visual and audible indicators)
- The Hull plating is 5/32″
- Hull design/description is “Carvel/Flush”
- Bow Thruster is a 5HP 12V high torque motor
- Wide decks with 36″ bulwarks/ railing height are ideal for all passengers including children and pets such as cat and dogs.
- Propane stove/oven is “Force 10”
- Radar is a Furuno model 1623
- GPS/ Chart Plotter ~ Standard Horizon 1000C
- 4 Freshwater tanks with a total of 210 gallons. 3 are s.steel, one is plastic
- Has a sewage holding tank with a macerator pump.
- Gas/fume detector “Safe T Alert”
- CD player/radio is a Sony 52W x4 with detachable faceplate and Blaupunkt speakers
- Foghorn/ hailer is “Ray Jeff 350”.
- Shore power has an isolation transformer
- Bilge blower
- Box keel / Keel tank for freshwater cooling. No seawater cooling system. No seawater pump, inlet, strainers, or wet exhaust.
- – 2-speed center w.house windshield wiper
- Lofrans Tigress 1200 Watt / 12 Volt dual-head windlass with local and remote.
- Digital depth sounder – Cruz Pro
- Radar – Furuno 1623 with a 16-mile range
- VHF – Uniden ESc with GMDSS / MMSI
- Autopilot – SIMRAD AP24
- Capilano quick ratio hydraulic steering box.
If you would like to enquire into this excellent example of a Custom commercial 40 ‘J. Michael’, then please contact the Horizon Yacht Sales broker team today.
- Hull type
- Max people
- Length (LOA)
- 12.19 m / 40 ft
- Beam (width)
- 3.9 m / 12 ft 10 in
- 127,000 kg / 279,987 lbs
- Draft (depth)
- 1.1 m / 3 ft 7 in
- Primary fuel tank capacity
- 1,305 L / 345 gallons
- Secondary fuel tank capacity
- 1,305 L / 345 gallons
- Engine Make + Drive
- Caterpillar / 3208 V8
- Horse power
- 210 hp / 156 kW
- No. of engines
Electronics and Navigation
- CRUZPRO D-30
- Chart Plotter at helm
- Standard Horizon 100 GPS Chart
- Simrad AP24
- VHF at helm
- Uniden ES UM626
- Furano 1623
- Bow Sprit/ Spinnaker Pole
- Marine Head
- Hot Water
- Refrigerator 1
- Galley Fridge
- Force 10 stove
- Stainless steel
- Shore Power
- Steering System
- Capilano quick ratio hydraulic steering box
- Anchor Windlass
- Lofrans Tigress 1200 Watt / 12 Volt dual-head windlass with remote
- Life Jackets
- Flare Kit
- Radar Reflector
Your information has been successfully sent to Horizon Yacht Sales.
Our yacht sales team will review your request and get back to you shortly.